Christmas Foods That Could Kill Your Doggie!

This Christmas as every Christmas we will celebrate, likely be Merry and all in all be as festive as we can, but a word of caution because treating your canine to some Christmas naughties could be fatal for them…

With the holidays in full pace now it is the time that many of our homes are full of extra foods we would not usually have any other time of the year, but experts have given warnings that its best to keep these human treats away from our pets!

There are over 1 million dogs rushed to the vets over Christmas because they have eaten some human treats over the holidays, according to a survey by Forthglade, a natural dog food manufacturer.

They asked over 2000 dog owners how they would treat their dogs over the Christmas period and the top answers turned out to be turkey, gravy, and stuffing!

Christmas dinner for our beloved dogs seems like such a sign of love, us dog owners really do see it that way, but beware of hidden dangers in the foods that can cause things like possibly fatal anemia, choking hazards and kidney damage.


It’s not just Christmas dinner that can cause these problems, there are other foods commonly kept at hole especially over these holidays!

The charity ‘The Dogs Trust’ has also given out warnings for pet owners to keep chocolate away from our loved four-pawed friends as well as mince pies and even sugar-free sweets!

Paula Boyden, from Dogs Trust veterinary, said:

“As a vet, I have seen some terrible examples of dog poisoning over the Christmas period …In many cases, the owner was totally unaware of the hidden dangers and was simply intending to be kind to their dog who was eager to share in the festive treats. Like with humans, all foods should be given in moderation.”

“Festive items to avoid giving your dog include Holly berries, Mistletoe, xylitol-based sweetener and alcohol such as mulled wine.”

This is not a comprehensive list, so please don’t give anything to your pet unless you know for sure that it is safe to do so, is the best general advice you can follow!

These are some common things to avoid for your loved doggie:

Apricot (stones/kernel) – Make sure they’re kept out of reach, the stones from apricots can be fatal for dogs.

Holly (berries) – Causes upset stomach, tremors, seizures, loss of balance, keep away from your pet especially if they like to eat anything they can get hold of!

Mistletoe – If it is eaten by a puppy, a few berries can be fatal. Also causes stomach problems, plus can cause skin irritations.

Poinsettia (the whole of the plant) – Popular Christmas plants could cause diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and general discomfort. The sap can cause blindness if it gets into your dog’s eyes.

Christmas cake, Christmas pudding + mince pies – Raisins can cause kidney failure in some dogs and have been known to be fatal!

Chocolate – A chemical in chocolate known as theobromine can cause serious harm, even in tiny amounts. The darker and higher the percentage of cocoa, the more theobromine is in the chocolate. Chocolate can be fatal for your dog.

Aspirin and Ibuprofen – If you’ve stocked up on painkillers for your after Christmas hangover, keep them in a safe place they are fatal to dogs too.

Alcohol – Keep alcoholic drinks (and food containing alcohol too) completely out of your dog’s way. It can cause serious liver damage!

Sugar-free candy and treats– A sweetener called xylitol, if consumed by your dog, very toxic to dogs!

Cooked bones – Turkey, chicken, lamb, beef and pork bones, the cooking process makes them very dangerous for pets, they can splinter and pierce your dog’s stomach and internals!

Given the time of year and the many dangerous things for dogs around you, then the best advice is; if you’re concerned about your pet, or what they may have eaten, consult a vet. Make sure you know and keep the emergency vet’s number handy just in case!

Let’s SHARE and spread the news and keep all our dogs safe over the holidays!

What do you think ?