Dogs love to beg for food – especially human food. But there are several things that are taboo. Responsible pet owners should be aware of the foods to be avoided and do their utmost to keep their dogs safe.
The items to be avoided vary depending on who you talk to, but the following things are generally considered to be a “no-no” for your pups.
Yes, this should go without saying, but some people might be tempted to share a sip of their cocktail with their pup, or a sneaky pooch may try to help himself.
Wine is made from grapes and grapes are toxic (you’ll see them on the list soon!) and beer is made with hops, which are also toxic to dogs. Dogs aren’t ment to imbibe, so make sure to keep them away from alcohol of any sort.
Since it was just mentioned in taboo item #1, it’s only logical that grapes are next on the list.
Grapes (and raisins) can be fatally toxic to dogs – experts aren’t sure exactly why, but just remember, even a little can be dangerous, so don’t let your dog have any!
#3 Onions and (maybe) garlic
Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which can damage a dog’s red blood cells. Dogs shouldn’t eat onions raw, or cooked because they might fall seriously ill (or worse!).
There are some concerns over garlic, though it is not considered to be as dangeous as onions. Some people swear that garlic is good for their pup, but others claim that it’s toxic. If you aren’t willing to take the risk, skip it!
Most dog owners have heard that their pets should steer clear of chocolate. And most people know that if given the chance, their pup will try to sneak a bit of chocolately goodness. But chocolate contains two toxic ingredients, theobromine and caffeine.
The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. Little dogs who consume chocolate are at the greatest risk of becoming sick – best to avoid the sweet stuff altogether.
Coffee might get you going in the morning, but your dog shouldn’t have any access to caffeine. Though a bit of coffee won’t likely harm your dog, a lot might.
Pet owners should be particularly mindful of diet pills which may contain caffeine. If you think your pup ate something caffinated, call your vet!
Not really a food, but an artificial sweetener found in many foods (like gum!) and it’s a bad one. Dogs who ingest an item containing Xylitol may experience a dangerous drop in their blood sugar, in a short period of time.
If you think that your dog ate something with Xylitol, get veterinary assistance as soon as possible!
#7 Macadamia nuts
These decedant nuts may be a treat for people, but they’re not great for dogs. Pups who eat too many Macadamia nuts can experience severe stomach pain, muscle tremors, joint pain and possibly even paralysis.
Too much salt is bad for you and your dog – excessive salt consumption can lead to sodium ion poisoning.
Dogs who have ingested too much salt may experience vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, high temperature, and seizures.
Tasty for guacamole, no bueno for dogs. Avocados contain something called persin and if a dog consumes too much, it might be poisonous. Pets MD recommends that dogs just stay away from avocados (skin, flesh and the pit) in general.
#10 Dairy products
Dogs may beg and plead for some tasty ice-cream, but experts warn that dairy can cause stomach upset, including diarrhea (not fun!).
Some dogs experience an allergic reaction to dairy which can result in itching – save the creamy goodness for yourself!
Worried about something your dog ate? Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number (888) 426-4435.